Sunday 17 May 2009

Frightened Rabbit: “I don’t want to sound indulgent”


(Muso's Guide, May 17, 2009)

Interview

If you’ve swooned at the feet of heartwarming, romantic Caledonian folk over the last year or so, chances are it’s down to honey-tongued Scott Hutchison.

As singer and creative doyen of Frightened Rabbit, the Selkirk native’s broad Scottish burr makes sport of the heartache of youth; from broken hearts to lost loves and all of Cupid’s treachery in between, this young Rabbit’s got a grasp of the emotional and no mistake.

After a year living with the runaway success of 2008’s The Midnight Organ Fight, Scott has been holed up in Fife demoing tracks for the band’s as-yet-untitled follow-up record, which promises to be every bit as magical as fans would expect - but there are hints that the lyrical emphasis may be in for a shift.

It’s no secret that Scott has harvested his own experiences for his astonishingly personal lyrics - but he is the first to admit that he didn’t forsee the sheer audience for his angst.

He explains: “I did expose myself. When I wrote those songs, we didn’t really have much of a fanbase at all, and then all of a sudden your album’s released and all these thoughts that were put down in your bedroom onto a cassette tape are now completely public.”

From the adolescent ankle-sock drama of a bedsit balladeer to featuring on youth-orientated Channel 4 shows - that was some transition.

“Yeah, I don’t think it would have been possible to make it that personal if we had known that it would end up on the soundtrack to Hollyoaks.” He laughs.

But the move to the X-rated Grange Hill signified a sea change indeed for the Scottish quartet, and success is now something of a close personal friend. In fact, after a successful SXSW in 2008, Frightened Rabbit are even making it big stateside. Scott says it’s no surprise that they hit the right note in the U.S.

“They’re quite fond of Scottish things, so we fit into that bracket. It’s also not inaccurate to say that I take a fair amount of influence from Americana - bands like Wilco and people like Ryan Adams have certainly seeped into stuff that I do. There’s a folkiness there that they definitely are in tune with.”

In talking to Scott, it’s important to note that there is very little in the way of hubris. So much so that, in saying “Americans just like us” matter-of-factly, he quickly follows it up with: “I think it has to do with timing and luck and one or two of the right people getting into your music.”

Anyone who has found themselves spellbound by any of FR’s two studio albums will note that this success owes nothing to luck, and everything to the skill of good songwriting.

But Scott is the first to admit that he finds musical inspiration in the strangest of places - for example, when the band covered N-Trance’s 1995 breakbeat hardcore classic ‘Set You Free’.

Scott laughs at the memory: “There’s something stirring inside you - the chords or something really connected with me. I didn’t really mind and I still don’t that it was in this kind of cheesy garish 90s package with all the production values. There’s something about it melodically that sticks with me. I love it, and as long as I covered it from that point of you. I hope people recognise that I was being earnest. We all have a memory of N-Trance and someone else… you know… touching and all that.”

Blimey! To spare Muso’s blushes, we divert onto other, more current, musical influences.

“I’ve been saying my favourite band in the world just now is The Hold Steady. I remember seeing them first at a festival, and it was the natural way it all just came out - they had no pretences, they weren’t styled, they were just playing the music that kind of that was honest to them.”

Up in Fife writing Frightened Rabbit’s new record will owe something to that honesty, Scott reveals - but he’s keen to point out that there will be less heartache in the new material - less of himself laid bare.

“I don’t think it’s a bad thing necessarily, but that album is a kind of one-off for me as far as letting that much of myself into it. I don’t really want to do that again, it’s just going to start sounding indulgent as well!

“This time around it’s less specific, less definitely about one person or even me. I suppose I’m trying to write about notions rather than actual events. I still think a record should tie together under one banner as an album under which all the songs fall. I’d like to make it a bit more outrospective and allow people a bit more freedom with what I’m talking about and allow them to come up with their own perspective on what it is rather than me dictating to them. I think I covered that aspect of life quite comprehensively on the last record. It was nice to get it all out, but this is a much more positive album.”

For those champing at the bit to get their ears round the new material, there’s some great news - Scott isn’t wasting any time!

“I want to get the record done - we’re looking at going to record around the beginning of June. So for like a month or two in the studio and then after that it’s up to the label. I’d love it to come out this year because, like, talking about the Hold Steady, they seem to keep producing material and I like that work ethic and I think, rather than it being, “Oh, there’s another Frightened Rabbit album coming out!”, just put one out there when people are least expecting it.”

And of the new material - are the fans to expect some real balls-out rock numbers - just to ring the changes?

“I can’t do that, I don’t know why. I always feel like it sounds a little bit cheesy! I love that kind of music, at the same time, but I just think I’m kind of frustrated that I’m incapable of doing it and it always does end up leaning towards the darker side of things. Whether I’m feeling sad or not, I find more interest in the shadowy bits of life - I can’t help it.”

In the name of uniquely sweet and wonderful music, here’s hoping that Scott keeps a watch on those shadows for a while longer.

No comments: