Tuesday 3 March 2009

VV Brown: a bit of a rant


(Muso's Guide, March 2, 2009)

Interview

“What a lot of people don’t realise sometimes is that sometimes people are on the grind for years and years and years and people get different opportunities at different times…”

What a lot of people don’t realise is that VV Brown is off on a bit of a rant. This one is about being compared to other female vocalists, but who can blame the 24-year-old for wanting to secure her place in this hazy crazy world of music?

Read just one column about the sassy 1950s-inspired singer-songwriter and a mention of Amy, Duffy, Adele et al is de rigeur, darling (even here!) but in truth, there is so much more to this swell-singin’, rule-breakin’, trend-settin’, flat-toppin’ songstress.

VV wasn’t always this doyenne of Brit cool. A few years before she became a must-watch for 2009 (© All newspapers), she had a very different musical career ahead of her. Signing to a major label at 19, VV went to LA to work with big producers and even sang backing vocals for the Pussycat Dolls’ debut album. But somewhere along the way, VV realised that something was missing.

“I think sometimes when you’re young, you get swept away with the lights and the glitz and the big recording studios and the LA sort of lifestyle. You lose yourself, and I think when you’ve got very strong influenial people around you, you trust their instincts when really as an artist you should speak up and trust the instincts of yourself.”

Luckily, VV’s own instincts kicked in, and that chapter of her life quickly ended. Stoney broke, she arrived back in the UK and started again, but this time she made her mark her way. Firstly by writing for other artists - hey, when the names include sassy pop princesses Sugababes, it’s not to be sneezed at - and then by writing for herself, from her own heart.

The single ‘Crying Blood’ is a fast-paced, bouncy pop record, with shades of ‘Monster Mash’ and a stylish 1950s heart. It’s great, in other words, and all about a nasty break-up with a nasty guy.

“The whole ‘Crying Blood’ situation came from such an honest place where I think the first time round it was quite synthetic. With my music now, it was a very indie-esque process of doing all these shitty gigs and evolving rather than just signing a big record deal and writing massive songs with a big producer.”

Anyone who doubts VV should turn their callous ear to ‘Leave’, a slice of raw, emotive pop with her own unique stamp right there in the middle of it. Ahead of the debut record, this veritable wunderkind is nothing but gracious in the praise which has been lavished upon her.

“I’ve been in this industry for a very long time, and there’s nothing more powerful than the music, so I just want to make a good record and see what happens - and whether I sell a million records and fulfill the prophecies of what everyone’s saying or sell two records, I know that I’m happy and I’ve made something that I can be proud of.”

Make no mistake, though - VV hasn’t left pride in her work to chance. She had quite a handle on the debut record, as she is only too happy to admit.

“I did 70% of the production on the album and I was petrified to give the other 30% over to these two lovely gentlemen. They’re so lovely, but I was so petrified to give over the work I had done! I wanted to have complete creative control, and Island Records are a fantastic label, they gave me that artistic control. I think it’s important.”

As for the future, VV is clear on one thing - inspiration for her sound can come from anywhere.

“It would be very arrogant of me to think that I had reached a peak. I’m a huge fan of many different kinds of music and this is just the beginning, this is an introduction to me. I think on the next album maybe I’d like to fuse different styles - there’ll always be a 1950s element, but maybe 1950s and African world music or something. I’m always evolving and always learning and trying to improve myself. I think that’s the beauty of art. As long as your experiences are changing, your music will evolve and change alongside it.”

For a girl with already quite a story behind her, VV seems determined to edit her own page in rock history. And it’s got success written all over it.

No comments: